15 thrillers by Indian authors worth reading
Thrillers, specially Crime thrillers have intrigued me since my early days when I started reading Feluda from Satyajit Roy. Not only that, I found the detectives to be really hot while untangling the mystery with intellect. Well, intelligence is the new sexy! 😉
After I purchased my kindle recently, I invested in thrillers right away.
while looking for good English thrillers by Indian writers, I could not find and any convincing list. Then I though of making and sharing one myself which might some lost souls like myself.
These are some quick reads written by currently popular Indian writers in no particular order.
I hope you would like them.
- 03:02 – Mainak Dhar : It is not exactly a mystery novel but extremely thrilling. Mainak Dhar created a beautiful fiction which starts when the world we know comes to a halt one early morning.It will grip you from the very end although the excruciating details might have slowed down the pace in few times. But it is an awesome read.What would you do if one day every boons of life that we take for granted, vanishes and you are forced to live in dark?
- Second Lives – Anish Sarkar : It is about three friends trying to find the friend’s murderer. But while doing so the dark side of their past keep interfacing.When they try to reach the bottom of their friend’s murder, it seems to be so much more than that and it is going to give you chill.This book is unputdownable, I loved it.
- The Murder of Sonia Raikkonen – Salil Desai : A psychological thriller. Nicely written event and wonderfully portrayed characters. Salil Desai has succeeded in the main ingredient of thriller which is the mystery. he keeps you guessing for the killer almost till the end and you keep suspecting almost every character. It is an awesome journey.
- Brutal – Uday Satpathy : Brutal is one spine chilling thriller which starts with a man brutally killing some school students and when the protagonist, report from a news channel goes out to investigate it starts out to be a lot more than just a murder case.The title of the book does justice as it contains violence, insane brutality but it will keep you glued until the end no doubt.
- Googled by God – Pulkit Ahuja : It is one financial thriller and very different from other mentioned in the list.I really enjoyed it to the bits. Although I hardly understand anything about stock market, I guarantee you would have no problem understanding the stock exchange terms. It would grip you from the very beginning.This being the first novel of Pulkit Ahuja, he has done one marvelous job describing the characters and the events and specially the climax. I really look forward to the next book of his.
- The Sinister silence – Moitrayee Bhaduri : I was waiting so long for reading this book as it always popped up in my amazon list that too with so many good reviews. And they are for good reason. This is a fantastic thriller.The protagonist, detective Mili Roy is try to resolve why software engineers are murdered? Is there any link between the particular cutting edge software they were making?Please read the book. I really recommend it.
- Mumbaistan – Piyush Jha : This book actually consists of 3 short thrillers and it was a welcome change to me after reading a three or four hundred pages long novels.The first one is my favourite as it is up to it’s pace and author has actually has stocked up pretty shocking thriller in such a small place.The second and third are pretty good too. Specially the third one, Coma man, reveals a swiftly knit interesting plot when everyone is trying to stop a man who just woke up from coma after twenty years.
- Compass box killer – Piyush Jha : I actually liked Mumbaistan better that this book. This belongs to his Inspector Vikar series which is quite amazing. There are few more in this series which I am yet to read and look forward to.The name is actually pretty obvious that the killer leaves a compass box with a note with every dead body. But he has managed to pack some not-so-obvious twists which you will definitely like.
- Bhendi bazar – Vish Dhamija : Below three are my favorite being written by VIsh Dhamija who has become one of my favorite author after reading these three.You would definitely love all the 3 books. Bhendi bazar and Doosra are crime thrillers with awesome plot twists and Deja Karma is one great Legal thriller.Pick these books up. Vish Dhamija is not called John Grisham for nothing.
- Doosra – Vish Dhamija : One Indian diamond merchant is killed in Belgium, the case is assigned to DCP Rita Ferreira of Crime Branch, Mumbai to investigate. This is the second book of DCP Rita Ferreira series, Bhendi bazar being the first, and I love this no-nonsense character of hers.
- Deja Krma – Vish Dhamijaa : This is a Legal thriller which amazon claims to be India’s first. Beside the legal and psychological suspense, this is one masterpiece of Vish Dhamija according to me.
- A man to die for – Suvika : This is a story of three friends. Preeti, Siya and Sikha – just normal everyday girls having normal course of life; like office going, bitching over boys, managers and in laws or annoying neighbor. But why someone is trying to kill them?The thriller is quite nice and a little sub plot of romance a nice touch to it.
- The Bankster – Ravi Subramanian : Ravi Subramanian is known for writing corporate thriller mostly on banking sector. Hence, I was pretty confidence that this is going to be a good read.I won’t lie, I did not find the start that intriguing but after some time it just started like a blockbuster movie. I could not move until I completed the book.
- In the shadows of death – Saurabh Mukherjee : This is a thriller about a serial killer, a little predictable but definitely worth reading.
- The Monsoon Murders – Keran Parmanandka : One of the recent books in this list. The lead character, Roy is an honest detective and dismissed police inspector, goes through unpredictable and shocking revelations while unfolding a murder mystery of an employee of a reputed Finance company in Mumbai.The plot is good and the twists are unpredictable until you reach the particular place in the books. Therefore, a nicely knitted plot and good mystery. I recommend it.
Please let me know if you have read any of them or wish to read; also your view and comments if you liked it or not are really welcome. Let me know which list you would like to see next in the comment below.
Please share the list if you like it. See you soon!